How to Build a Relationship That Lasts
Marriage preparation and relationship education for couples getting married or moving in
This private, three-hour session is for you if you’re thinking of moving in together, getting married, or want to take your budding relationship to the next level.
It’s also for you, if you are not sure whether you should get married or deepen your commitment, or if you are newly married and feeling disillusioned.
Learn the skills at the heart of healthy, long-lasting relationships
Relationship education goes by many names: Premarital Counselling, Marriage Preparation – even Relationship 101. “Starting Out” covers the same foundational material as most premarital courses, but it has the added benefits of being custom-designed for your relationship, and facilitated by an experienced couples counsellor. In this one-on-one session you’ll:
- Learn the essential skills, tools, and insights that lead to strong, lasting relationships
- Explore and build on your relationship strengths as individuals, and as a couple
- Work through any specific issues you would like to address before taking the next step in your relationship
- Nip any troubling issues in the bud
- Define your individual and couple goals, differences and ambitions
- Gain awareness of any destructive relationship patterns that may repeat in your family of origin from one generation to the next
- Learn how to stay true to yourself and your relationship
Your three-hour session (with short coffee break) also includes:
- Pre-course questionnaires that will help you think about the different aspects of your relationship, provide insight for your therapist, and highlight any areas we should focus on during our session.
- Insight into your approach as a couple to the 13 key areas of good relationship-building, and any areas that might need work: roles, expectations, personal strengths and limitations, communication, managing conflict, intimacy, finances, extended family, children, religion and more.
- Take-home material outlining the relationship skills and practices that will help you thrive, including links to articles and videos that will help to support you as you move forward.
- A Certificate of Completion (if needed)
One of the benefits of taking this course with a registered couples therapist – beyond Shelley’s experience and expertise – is that you and your partner can develop a relationship with a counsellor you both trust. It’s a resource for the future; you can return to A Better Love Counselling at any time to work with Shelley in regular couples counselling sessions.
Your next step to building a strong, long-lasting relationship
“Starting Out: How to Build a Relationship That Lasts” is offered in-person at my offices in Ladner or White Rock, BC – or online. Clients come to me from Ladner, Tsawwassen, North Delta, South Surrey, Richmond, and Langley – and meet me online from anywhere.
The 3-hour personalized, one-on-one course is $425.00, with the option of two follow-up sessions for an additional $140.00 – a 50% discount from the usual fee (the first follow-up session is in 6 months, and the second is in 12 months).
Available appointment times are shown in the first step of the booking process.